Japanese: 鴨居

In a Japanese house, Kamoi is the name given the board at mid height with indentations which delineate rooms and into which the top of sliding doors (fusuma) or paper windows (shoji) can be inserted and slide.

Beams tend to run vertically above the kamoi, with the result that when you suspend a model it is just under the kamoii.

By suggesting the presence of a sliding door, the kamoi also separates the space between the inside and the outside, if you are watching someone being tied on a tatami, you will often be separated from the scene, if you are watching form the next room, by the kamoi.